Sunday, November 14, 2010

Quilted Tree Skirt...

So I stayed up late and got the skirt quilted.  It did involve a lot of marking, but the sewing was surprisingly easy and relaxing.  I picked a center point in the circle and then connected to a mark along the edge of the quilt.  Since the top was 36" square, I marked every 2" along the edge.  I backstitched at each beginning and end....this is wash out marker...I just didn't have time to learn to stipple, though that has now moved up on my list of things to do.  I really wanted to just send it to a longarmer, but I persevered.  This sort of quilting is a big pain on the longarm...but perfect for a regular sewing machine.  ;-D  A decent choice...
 After I finished I soaked it in the washer, cold water, let it spin and then took it to the dryer.  I was admiring my work when I noticed some BLEEDING from a red.  Well, all the pieces from one particular red shirt.  Bleeding to the front, back and anywhere it touched during the spin cycle.  PANIC!!  I Spray 'N Washed the affected areas, rewashed it, mostly by hand, and got out the bleeding.  Then into the dryer with a few big fluffy towels so dry.  I did end up with a little bleeding on the back side, but you don't need to see that!  The front looks good.  The scary part is that I know I used that particular shirt fabric in my big Christmas quilt that is at the quilter right now.  Darn it....that will trouble for years to come.  Maybe I'll get some Retayne (or whatever that product is that prevents bleeding).  I have color catcher sheets....but the problem is when the top is spinning and sending out dye to everypart that it touches....not really "free floating" dye in the water.  It just needs to be bound and it will be done!  I was leaning toward a red binding (will I ever learn??)....


While we were watching Robin Hood, and then a few episodes of Modern Family, we set out the pieces for the fruit/veggie quilt.  It will only be 51" by 51" when it is finished.  But then we had to stay up late pinning it so the dog wouldn't destroy it!  My design wall is the carpet in my living room!!! It is definitely very festive...


Well, that is all I have to share.  I need to check out the other quilts from the quilt along.  Have a nice Sunday!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, these are both very impressive. I have a red border that I wanted to use on a Christmas table topper, and now I'm paranoid. lol I have never used the color catcher stuff, but maybe I should invest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the tree skirt, but then I have ever since you started showing the blocks. Sorry about the colour bleeding, but it still looks wonderful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tree skirt and that quilting is perfect. Ive never had anything bleed on me after completion but I'm sure it'll happen at some point.

    The fruit and vegies quilt is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tree skirt! You did a great job quilting it! I've always admired the fruit market fabrics but never like the layouts I've seen with them. Yours looks fabulous though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Color Catchers - I put three of them in with every quilt I wash, and I've not had any trouble with bleeding at all since I started using them. We use a lot of donated fabrics, so that has been a problem in the past.

    I love your fruit and veggie quilt - I have those same fabrics and have been trying to find a good pattern to show them off. Yours is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! The fruit and vegie quilt is gorgeous! The colours are so vibrant.

    I like how you have quilted the skirt. Pity about the bleeding. Red is such a festive colour though..it would suit the skirt perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! I love the tree skirt! Your quilting is great--ver appealing. And the fruit and veggie quilt is so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore the Christmas tree skirt! The veggie quilt is cute, too. As always, I just love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love, love love that tree skirt AND the Christmas quilt!!! Do you mind sharing what size your blocks are? And the center of the tree skirt? I have a plastic bin of plaid shirts just 'waiting'....They are both just gorgeous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my! Both of those projects take my breath away! Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

It is great to hear from you... I had to eliminate anonymous comments due to spamming....sorry!